Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Let me introduce myself...

My name is Olivier. I am a 38 years old French married and father of one boy. I am an IT Consultant; I am working for a US CRM Company and living in France, so far!

I started to run 8 years ago in 2001. Since that day, I always pushed back my limits. My first jogs were at least 15 minutes runs. It was hard; I did not follow any plan or advices. I probably made all the mistakes that a beginner could do: not drinking enough water, no stretch after a workout. After one year of jogging, I tried just for fun to attend a 13 km race. It was hard; my greatest training distance was below this length. I was crazy, and thought that running races was not for me. Then, I met smart people who explained me the basics of running. Thank you Philippe and Alexandre for your patience.

Finally, I ran my first marathon in 2003. It was a tremendous challenge. I remembered watching the women marathon arrival on the TV; it was in 2000 the Olympics games in Sydney. These girls looked so exhausted –closed to the blackout- that I could not even figure out that I could try to run the same distance. But this was my big day. Although, training had been too rough and I was tired on the starting line. I got cramps before the end. I was proud; I had passed a new step finishing my first marathon.

Then I ran 10 marathons, but got bored but the mood. When you are running a marathon, this is not like enjoying a ride with a bunch of friends. You have only opponents obsessed by their stopwatch. Now I was looking for something different.

Then, I discovered the trail runs: races that do not happen on asphalt. Sounded amazing to me! Races that took place in forests, fields, mountains, shores, day and night. My first trail run by night was in 2006. I really appreciate the feeling to run in forest by night, with the headlight fixed on my forehead. A new dimension: as if the world used to be flat and just turned in three dimensions. This was so exciting that I switched 100% to this kind of races. The range of flavours seemed to be endless.

From 2007 to today, I ran a very large set of trail races: 50km, 80km, 180km, whatever! In many places. The longest it was, bigger was the excitement. I like to live strong adventures. And running for more than 40 hours without sleeping is an amazing one, believe me!

I like challenges. In my sport life and professional life as well, I like to set goals above what I can currently do. But I am not a fool; I will not set the bar above my physical capabilities. For example, I would not bet that I might run 100 meters in less than 9.58’’. After finishing twice in a row the “Raid du Morbihan” (a 180km race in one leg) I was looking for new goals, new adventures. Then, I reminded of one of the most difficult races in the world: The Spartathlon, 246km for Athens to Sparta in less than 36 hours. Heat and time limitations will be my new friends.

For years, I always figured out the Spartathlon as the ultimate race, something unreachable… Unreachable like marathons were in my mind 9 years before. So What? Was it the next “must have” challenge? Oh man, yes, definitely! Be wise and patient, first of all I have to improve my training. Maybe running the Spartathlon in a couple of years will be fine. In 2011, then I will get 40 years old. That is what I call a challenge, I like this!

I am crazy, life is beautiful!


Picture borrowed from this site.
Memorial dedicated to the Spartathlon winners and King Leonidas (Sparta)

5 comments:

  1. Enorme, faut que tu en parles au Shadock, il l'a fait deux fois et pourrait t'apporter des conseils. C'est trop dur pour un gros poussif comme moi !!
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Andrew:
    Bien sûr, je demanderai des conseils à Hervé.
    Trop gros... Tu verras bien dans qq années ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Olivier.. Sounds challenging.. whoa!!

    I'll be looking forward to read your blog...

    Hope you are doing well my friend... Great First post..

    Luis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Luis! I am so proud to count a running warrior among my readers :)
    All the Best.
    Olivier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well well well, know that from now on we will observe every step you take...

    good luck and bon courage!

    best,
    N

    ReplyDelete